This recipe I created a while back has been a favourite ever since I perfected it. I don’t think its necessary to go through the reasons why bacon isn’t very beneficial to our health, not to mention the extra sauces and ingredients that go into a regular fast food BLT. This is one of those vegan recipes that get a “are you sure this is vegan?”.. it overall has a delicious taste but there are hidden gems added in that give you a boost of extra nutrients. It’s also almost mess-free unlike the classic making of bacon.
I’ve mentioned before that I am certainly not a tofu person. I regularly pick around it in bowls and tend not to use it in a lot of recipes unless it blends into all the other ingredients. This is one of my recipes including tofu that you wouldn’t be able to tell. It’s definitely worth a try for anyone, you’d be surprised! A huge plus is that tofu is ultra affordable, I pay from 1.50$ – 2.50$ for a block and it lasts.
Add your own ingredients and make this a staple of your own!
- Extra firm tofu – Enough slices to cover your bread
- Sliced bread – Type depending on preference, I use multigrain, I think the seeds added give a great texture for this sandwich
- Steak Spice – any kind
- Sliced tomato
- Lettuce of your choice – I used iceberg as it is a classic sandwich lettuce
- Vegan Mayo – I use veganase, soy free
- 1 tsp olive oil & 1 tsp balsamic vinegar for cooking – use more or less depending on the size of your pan, I use a pretty small one
For the Avocado spread:
- 1 Avocado, smashed
- Slice your tofu – I like mine pretty thin to eliminate anything too spongy but use more or less depending on how much you like tofu
- Press tofu slices between pieces of paper towel – I use my hand and press down on the covered tofu, this takes away some of the water in the tofu and gives it a chewy texture *This step is important! It’ll take most of the weird tofu texture away
- Using the steak spice of your choice, rub it on both sides of the tofu
- In your pan, take your olive oil and balsamic vinegar and tip pan around until the bottom is all covered
- Cook your tofu until it becomes extremely brown and crispy
- For the avocado spread: Mash your avocado and then using a fork, mix in a few sprinkles of the turmeric & paprika – these spices have great health benefits and the oil in the avocado will help your body digest them.
- While tofu is cooking cut your sandwich ingredients and toast your bread
- Assemble and enjoy!